Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thing #17

Podcasting is awesome. I took the staff development class covering podcasting and thought of many things the kiddos could use it for. All of them have some sort of mp3 player these days, from ipods to cell phones. Perhaps they won't want to listen to my voice over their earphones, but perhaps if they produced and starred in their own works, they could use it as a study tool.

I looked through the iTunes search engine and found a few podcasts for biology/AP biology. There were a lot of college level lectures such as one from UC Berkely. These would be cool to tune in to to review the material I learned over 10 years ago and to see what progess has been made in the science fields. I also found AP Biology from peevyhouse. There is a hilarious cell song that has an addicting tune still lingering in my head. I think I can use this cell song and the kidney song to my kids as a fun learning experience.

This six weeks, I've invited my students to produce a song/rap or movie over eukaryotic cells. I'm very interested to see their creativity and hoping I get lucky that I can use some of their works in future podcasts for my kiddos next year.

At NMHS, we already produce lab safety videos each year for school use, and I think this would be a great addition! What a wonderful resource it would be to have a library/collection future students could access to help them get their study on.

As a side note:Perhaps it's no longer cool to study as we did when we were growing up. Repitions with flash cards, study groups, parents quizzing us, etc. I think this could be a great way for those machismo young men to study before a test without losing any cool points amongst their peers. It's sort of a concealed study guide.

No comments: