Thursday, December 4, 2008

Thing #18

YouTube...is addicting. As soon as you click on one link, you are given more suggestions. And being like a kid in a candy store I open lots of new link in new windows...soon a few hours have passed by! Yikes!

One video I found on YouTube, thanks to CSI actually, is over biomagnification. It's fast paced, exciting, and visually appealing. My kids liked it and seemed to grasp the fact that poisons in our food chains do not go away, but instead actually accumulate and can be harmful.


Another video I found shows
DNA transcription. It's always easier to have an animation embedded in a powerpoint because the kiddos are usually better off at seeing how all the "big words" actually work and fit together. They get lost in vocabulary and fail to see the big picture.

A video I found that is just plain useful is how to clean a K&N air filter. I got one of these for my car, and a cleaning kit but was unsure how to use it. This showed how to clean it and was sort of amusing.

The last YouTube video I found was of my father and I. It was our Route 66 vacation from 2006. I haven't checked on it in a while and was amazed to see over 949 views. Wow!

TeacherTube is probably more school appropriate. It's edited for the school student audience. I saw an AP Biology podcast that was great and I'm eager to show it with the AP Bio teacher at my school. I think it would definitely help her kids since they are trying to earn dual credit. I think my kiddos could also produce and star in some vids demonstrating cell processes. There's no better way to learn a concept than trying to teach it to others.

No comments: